Thursday, October 3, 2013

Rho ryun/201001081/Character sketch/Tue 3,4

 

My beloving friend.

 

This is a story of my friend who I met in the Army. His name is Kim Donghyun. He had coffee like colored skin. His nickname I made is "Mowgli" in the Jungle Book story. I always made fun of him saying "I really want to eat chocolate! Can I have some from your skin?" and every time I made a joke like that he just laugh saying "It must be bitter because I am took dark!”

Because he and I assigned in a same room in an army training center, we had many chances to have a conversation with each other. The army forces us to sleep at 11 o'clock but we did not follow the regulation because we had so many things to talk about. From the conversation, I noticed that he and I had many things in common. And that is why we had a great friendship.

 First of all, he is hard worker. Many guys in the army try to avoid military training. But, he always tried his best. To be more specific, we had to run 2 miles every morning without shirts on in the winter time. Many trainees go to see doctor or pretend to have a bad cold. Instead of it, he was always at the front of the row. Also, he successfully finished his given task even if it takes a lot of efforts and times. That is, he spared no efforts on doing assigned tasks. It is not much to call him as "perfectionist".

Secondly, he knows how to treat others well. For example, I knew he had a high level of self-confidence just like me. From my past experiences, I found that it is pretty easy to have a conflict unless one is willing to lose. In our relationship, I was always try to be a winner, and my friend always willing to be a loser saying "If you kept insisting you are right, I will stand on your side". The important thing is that I was wrong. That is why I do care about him more than others. Even if his self-confident personality does not want to lose, he just chose to lose only because of our relationship. He was cool.

 Finally, he likes to travel just like me. And I think it was the core of our relationship. We both like to travel. After we finished our basic training, we were assigned in a different area. He served the military service in Daegu, located in southern part of The Korean peninsula, and I served in Dongducheon, located in Northern part of Korea. So, in the normal situation, we could not see each other’s often, but in fact, I and he went to travel more than six times. We planned leaves in accordance with each others. Our relationship have ripen while we traveling together.

If I have to choose one thing that I got from my military service, I will choose my friend Kim Donghyun without any hesitation. He is that much important for me. I have learned many lifelong lessons from him: how to live life happily, how to spend money wisely, how to take care of others well, what to seek in life and so on. With the help of him, I finally finished my army life well. But above all, the most important thing is that he really does like me. He always says this to me. "I hope our relationship will last forever and hope we go family travel together after we married", "You are the best friend I got", and "Hyeong! I miss you". That is the reason why I cannot help but to "mentally" love him.

2 comments:

  1. 1. What do you like about this essay?

    This essay tells about one of the writer's best friends, and depicts him in a various way vividly.

    2. What one word would you choose to describe the character? What specific information in the draft caused you to choose this word?

    I will choose 'considerate'. Even if he is a perfectionist, I was more impressed by his effort to be harmonious with others not to casue conflict.

    3. List any places where you do not understand the writer’s meaning.

    I think it had a nice development and good word choice.

    4. What do you notice about the organization of the essay? For example, is the number of paragraphs appropriate? How could the writer improve the organization of the essay?

    Well divided into pararaphs with the word such as 'secondly', and 'finally'. 6- paragraphs structure is good, but I think 5 is slightly better.

    5. What would you like to know more about?

    I want to know about some episodes or dialogues to show his characteristics.

    6. Who do you think would be interested in reading this essay?

    I think the guys that miss those military time and their friends with whom to spend 2 years would probably be interested in this essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peer response

    To Rho ryun 201001081
    From 201001450 Park Hyun-ju


    1. Write one sentence to sum up what this person is like.

    He was cool.

    2. List three details from the essay that support your sentence in step 1.

    -He knows how to treat others well

    -My friend always willing to be a loser saying "If you kept insisting you are right, I will stand on your side

    -Even if his self-confident personality does not want to lose, he just chose to lose only because of our relationship

    3. Put a check next to each of the methods below that the writer uses to reveal the person’s character. For each method that you checked, give one example from the essay.

    - What the person looks like
    He had coffee like colored skin. His nickname I made is "Mowgli" in the Jungle Book story.

    - What the person says
    "It must be bitter because I am took dark!”
    "If you kept insisting you are right, I will stand on your side".
    "I hope our relationship will last forever and hope we go family travel together after we married", "You are the best friend I got", and "Hyeong! I miss you".


    - What the person does
    , he was always at the front of the row. Also, he successfully finished his given task even if it takes a lot of efforts and times. That is, he spared no efforts on doing assigned tasks.

    I and he went to travel more than six times.

    4. Were there any things in this essay that you did not understand? If so, what were they?

    I want to know more specific reasons and situations why he tend to lose for others even though he has a strong self-esteem because I thought his character was interesting and cool like writer said but I didn’t understand the situation and reason why he is apologizing to the writier..

    5. Why do you think the writer chose to describe this particular person?

    I think writer’s friend who is described in the writing is so special and meaningful person for the writer. According to the writing, writer’s friend seems to have a good personality that he can consider others and many things in common with the writer.


    6. Write one or two questions about the person described in this essay that you would like the writer to answer in the next draft.

    I want to know how their relationship is going after the military. And more detailed qualities of writer’s friend which are mentioned in the last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete