Sunday, October 6, 2013

Jun-hee Kang/ character sketch/ Tuesday 11 a.m

                                              My Eden

           When it is in hot summer, there is one person that I always remember. Though it has been 10 years and I could not see him anymore, somewhere from my brain search automatically and pull out the image. My grandfather, I met him when I was in middle school. When my family went to the airport to pick him up, I was wondering how he looked like. When I first met him, I was shy and awkward to have a conversation so I just observed him. He had a short gray colored hair, not fat nor thin, and with a height of about 177 cm. he had wrinkles around his eyes, which made him less old. That was the first observation I got. My grandfather was usually quiet, especially during the meal and listening to classic music. He always had his time to enjoy the tea time after the meal. While taking a tea, he had a smile as if he did not want any interruption. His gesture was always gentle but in another word he was slow. Whenever we go out for a trip, he was a last person to step out from the house.

           On certain situation my grandfather's characteristic changed. When He and I go out for a fishing, he was faster than usual movements. Normally he walked slowly to enjoy looking around the environment, but the day of fishing that was not acceptable. He was really a cautious man in the house or out, but he totally changes when he is out for fishing. He sometimes dived into the sea to bring out the fish that he or I got by the rod which we could not pull out from the water. Second situation is when I played soccer. After the match against other school, he talks a lot to coach me what I should have done. During this kind of conversation he used big gestures to let me know clearly. It quickly reminded me that he also watched a soccer game frequently. Lastly, he changed when he drove the car. I hardly saw him using abusive languages even when he got angry until his face turning to red. When he holed the handle of the car, this man became aggressive and emotionally sensitive. At first, it was funny to see him these kind of changes but later it was a horror to see his dual personality.

           My grandfather was my greatest advisor, friend and person whom I loved most. He was always with me to take care and loved to listen, even though it was not that interesting. I loved his smiles, which made me peaceful and relax. He was my refuge.

2 comments:

  1. 201102861 Huyoung Lee

    1. Write one sentence to sum up what this person is like.
    A gentle, calm old man who also has enthusiasm for his favorites.

    2. List three details from the essay that support your sentence in step 1.
    - My grandfather was usually quiet, especially during the meal and listening to classic music.
    - His gesture was always gentle but in another word he was slow.
    - He sometimes dived into the sea to bring out the fish that he or I got by the rod which we could not pull out from the water.

    3. Put a check next to each of the methods below (a-d) that the writer uses to reveal the person's character. For each method that you checked, give one example from the essay. (Most essays will probably not use all four methods.)
    - What the person look like
    'He had a short gray colored hair, not fat nor thin, and with a height of about 177 cm. he had wrinkles around his eyes, which made him less old.'
    - What the person does
    'While taking a tea, he had a smile as if he did not want any interruption.'

    4. Were there any things in this essay that you did not understand? If so, what were they?
    I think it's not very important but I was just curious... You said he had some wrinkles around his eyes and it made him look less old but is it possible? Because I thought that usually people look older when they have wrinkles...

    5. Why do you think the writer chose to describe this particular person?
    I could feel how much you cherished your grandfather. Maybe that's the reason why you chose him. And you know him very well since you had a close relationship with him, which makes it easier to describe.

    6. Write one or two questions about the person described in this essay that you would like the writer to answer in the next draft.
    - Is there anything impressive your grandfather told you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Jieun to Junhee

    1. His grandfather was a calm, gentle, and person with composure, only except when when he was fishing; he became vigorous and energetic.

    2. His gesture was always gentle but in another word he was slow.
    When He and I go out for a fishing, he was faster than usual movements.
    He sometimes dived into the sea to bring out the fish that he or I got by the rod which we could not pull out from the water.

    3. What the person looks like, what the person does

    4. At the part you described your grandfather's appearance, you said he had wrinkles which it made him less old. I thought it would be opposite, so it was little bit confusing to imagine.

    5. I think you chose your grandfather because he was very special person to you. And I can see you really loved your grandfather and still missing him a lot.

    6. What of fishing, soccer, and driving made your grandfather turn into different character?

    ReplyDelete