Saturday, October 19, 2013

Jeong Hae Joong/201003224/chapter4/11am tuesday

201003224 Jeong Hae Joong

Title: Mirroring The Past For Me.

 

     Of course, I grew up in a small town, Hong Seong. I graduated from elementary, middle, and even high school in the town. Some people may think that oh, you must have a place meaningful for you in the town or near there. At first, I thought I did. But that's not the case for me. So where is the place that's important to me.

 

     As I said, I'd spent my whole teenager life in the town. But my grandma, granddad and uncles on mom's side lived in sanggye-dong, Seoul for a long time. My mom visited her parents with me and my brother when I was young. I thought she might think when young, go somewhere and experience many things as much as her sons' could. My grandparents had lived near the station of Danggogae which is the last station of the subway line4. I still even remember what it was like a decade or even more years ago. There are also many things that've not changed or little changed since then. The present is showing the past like looking in the mirror.

 

     The station was like the "Alice's adventure in wonderland", when I was young. It's like the whole new world thing was spreading in front of my eyes, sweeping scene of a part of the city. The station is like a gateway introducing me into another world that I'd known before. Many people going somewhere, buses, cars, and whatever were just interesting since my hometown hasn't that many cars or people. The dense forest of tall buildings like apartments hadn't been, even now, in Hong Seong at that time.

 

     It's the same that because many people use the station, there are many stores, especially, food stores. The same woman is still there to sell food. At the entrance of the station, you can smell sugary snacks, buttery toast, Tteokbokki, which is a Korean version of stir-fried, spicy rice cake, or many foods selling on Korean food stall. I like their smells. They kind of make me happy. Smelling something delicious one is really pleasant. My favourite one is Omuk, which is Korean fish cake. I sometimes can't resist its smell. The smells are in the air, flowing all over near the place.

 

     Buzzing loudness is something I should mention. The station is loud for many people, buses, cars and sellers. How can't it be! So crowded with people in a rush-hour is the station. In the morning, the station is like full of mumbling and the sound of footsteps. The sound of car-honking and subway's operating is circling around the station. However, I'd like to mention that I like riding a subway for its sound. It sounds similar with hear-beating, in my opinion. The continuous pit-a-pat of subway and footstep are, at least I think, an evidence that the city of Seoul is alive and vibrant. I think the noise of the city is better than the silence of it.

 

     I thought there is nothing the same in the world. To some extent, that is true and not. Sadly, the playground I used to go and have fun was gone. Many years later, I still use the station to go somewhere like the HUFS. I'm sometimes reminded what it was like to visit and play near the station when I was young. Some memories are blurry, getting far away in my head. But I am still pleasant that the station is still there and recalls my past and is a part of my 20's life. I picture myself going in the Monday morning there in my mind. 

2 comments:

  1. 201201914 An yumi

    I really enjoyed reading it. And your specific background information explain was really helpful.

    1. What did you like the best about this essay? Be as specific as possible.
    I like the part where you describe the delicious smell and the buzzing sound of the station. I really was able to picture what was going on. I like your choice of words. Buttery, sugary, vibrant, mumbling, vibrant, continous pit-a-pat. I really was able to feel that you like it.

    2. Did the writer describe the place clearly? List any parts that were not clear to you.
    You referred the place as "The station." Do you mean one specific station, Danggogae station?

    3. Did the writer appeal to the different senses? List two sensory details that you especially liked.
    Yes, "you can smell sugary snacks, buttery toast." (Oh, I get hungry...) and "The continuous pit-a-pat of subway and footstep," Here, he appeals to the smell and hearing. Of course there are more about other senses.

    4. How would you describe the mood or the atmosphere of this place?
    Corwded and buzzing but cheerful and energetic.

    5. Why do you think the writer chose to write about this place?
    I konw how fun it is to go somewhere again you went in the past! Once a wonderland for you, but now just the part of everyday life. It is interesting! The busy place such as a subway station in Seoul must have impressed you a lot when you were a little child who lived in a small town.

    6. How could the writer improve this essay when he or she revises? Make only one suggestion.
    I really like how you describe the place. Your word choice is great and I could feel what you felt at the place. But there are small simple errors such as, missing words, grammatical mistakes. Not all of them but some of them makes understanding harder. I think if you work on them a little bit more, your writing will be more than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. What did you like the best about this essay? Be as specific as possible.
    I like your third paragraph. In that paragraph, you can well describe the platform of station. So I can imagine the scean very vividly.
    2. Did the writer describe the place clearly? List any parts that were not clear to you.
    Actually, I think your first paragraph was not appropriate. I mean your first paragraph is not related to your essay subject directly. So after reading that part, I could not figure out what your topic was. So I recommend that you make some implication in the first paragraph.
    3. Did the writer appeal to the different senses? List two sensory details that you especially liked.
    Your essay really use lots of different senses.(ex. Smell : The same woman is still there to sell food. At the entrance of the station, you can smell sugary snacks, buttery toast, Tteokbokki, which is a Korean version of stir-fried, spicy rice cake, or many foods selling on Korean food stall. I like their smells. They kind of make me happy. Smelling something delicious one is really pleasant. My favourite one is Omuk, which is Korean fish cake. I sometimes can't resist its smell.)
    4. How would you describe the mood or the atmosphere of this place?
    Corwded and buzzing but cheerful and energetic.

    5. Why do you think the writer chose to write about this place?
    I also agree with the former critics.
    : I know how fun it is to go somewhere again you went in the past! Once a wonderland for you, but now just the part of everyday life. It is interesting! The busy place such as a subway station in Seoul must have impressed you a lot when you were a little child who lived in a small town.

    6. How could the writer improve this essay when he or she revises? Make only one suggestion.
    I think your essay well organized and also well describe the place with using lots of senses. So I just suggest some minor thing to improve your essay.
    First, In essay, you do not use abbreviation.(ex. Hasn’t, I’d) So in the final draft which will hand in next week, it is much better not to use the abbreviation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete