Sunday, November 17, 2013

Yoo Hongsang/2nd draft oral history/ Tue 11 a.m.

My friend, giving up going to Samsung

 

   Since I am a senior, I am seeking a job now. I decided to interview one of my friends, who is also preparing for getting a job. First, we made an appointment, met, and went into the restaurant. After a meal, we went to a cafe for the real purpose of the meeting.

 

  Since we are very close, I prepared for the list of questions in advance in order not to be distracted during the interview. First, I asked him about how many companies he applied for and how many he passed. He said that he applied for about 20 companies, among which he passed document screenings and the aptitude tests in 5 companies. He already went through interviews in some companies and now waits for the result. This is amazing because many other friends of mine failed even in most of the document screening.

 

  However, the most amazing thing was that he gave up the final interview of Samsung Electronics. Actually, he did an internship there during the summer vacation, and more than 50 percent of the interns are expected to be turned into the regular position, and all of those interns only have to take the final interview, not having to go through all screening process from the start. I asked him why he gave up on the interview.

 

  He said, ''I want to balance between work and my private life. Samsung Electronics is surely a very good company, but many employees work overtime for the company's profit.''

 

  I thought that it was such a difficult decision. I also asked him about what his priority is in choosing the companies. He said, ''I want to go to the company that guarantees the working years until the retirement age.''

 

  It is getting more and more difficult to enter the big companies due to the bad economy. I think he is doing very well in spite of all the unfavorable conditions. I believe that he will be able to find the work where he will feel more satisfied than he would feel in Samsung.


1 comment:

  1. LoYunSeo(노윤서)
    Your essay is very interesting. And I totally understand your thinking of how it is difficult to get job these days. So I was very surprised by your wonderful friend.
    1 I want to know how you meet your friend.
    2. In the sentence 'This is amazing because many other friends of mine----i think you don't need to put 'of mine' in this part.
    3. IN your essay you write 'i asked him--'' too much. SO I recommend you change some these sentences to other expressions.
    4.I want to know more about your interview related to the atmosphere of the interview and how he has made lots of efforts in getting job
    thank you.
    1.f

    ReplyDelete