Saturday, November 16, 2013

Rho ryun/2nd draft of Oral History/Tue 11-13

My Proud Friend as a CEO & Founder of a Company

 

My friend whose name is Lee Hyeon Ha called me recently. As soon as I picked up my phone, he said, "Rho! I founded a company last year and we made good money this year. Let's meet someday soon so that I can treat you a nice dinner as a celebration." There was no need to hesitate. I made an appointment with him, 8th of the November, 2013. We met in Wangsimni, where many nice restaurants and cafes located. 


He came to meet me in a fancy suit. Because he always wore a tracksuit, I was pretty surprised. I asked, "Dear my friend, I am not a girl. You do not need to wear that kind of nice suit!" He answered "No way! I wore a suit because I had a contract right before I met you. I had not enough time to change my clothes." He said he just signed a contract for a video art in Samsung's products presentation show. As I interviewed him, I found that the appearance was not the only change. He was a boy who used to follow other people's opinion, but now, he is a CEO who leads his company.


We went to cafe to talk. First, I asked him about his company. The name of the company he founded is 'ARTECH LAB,' and it is a media art business company. His company has made many video shows for well-known corporations, such as Nature republic and Estee Lauder. Because I knew those companies well, it was surprised. Then he showed me the media arts the company made. It was well organized and well-made video.


I asked him a next question. "Why and how did you found the company?" He started with the assistance to business starters of his University. At first, he tried to start with the consulting company because that's what his major was. But he thought that the entry barrier was too high and most importantly, that was not what he interested in. He said "It was hard for me to write a detailed memorandum to my University so that I can win the support fund. When struggling with the proposal for the support fund, I got an unexpected proposal from my friends who I worked with before."


He added that his friends had a great technique to create a visual image, but they had no manager. So, they were looking for a man who has a management skill. "That proposal was like a ray of sunshine." So he took their proposal, and changed the content of his detailed memorandum. Finally, he won the contest and got a support fund. That's how and why he founded the company.


Finally, I asked a question about plans he had in mind for the next year. It took several minutes to get an answer. After much consideration, he started to talk. "Because our company begins to become larger and larger, we have a plan to change our company into a corporation. That means, we will hire more engineers and technicians to make the quality of the productions higher. It is only a blueprint but I hope we could make it."


I finished my interview at this point. The interview took about an hour and I learned many lessons from him. The little and shy child became a vigorous entrepreneur who had a transparent vision for the future. I felt really proud of what he has done. I hope the ambitious CEO named Lee Hyeon Ha will achieve success ever after, and I strongly believe that the entrepreneurship he has will help him to become a successful CEO.

No comments:

Post a Comment