Monday, November 11, 2013

Chae Ji-Young/Oral History/ Tuesday 11 am/First Draft

 

                    I interviewed Hannah who was from Dan-Dong, China, majoring in EIT. While interviewing, I was surprised to notice how much her ability to speak Korean improved. When I first met her last year, I sometimes couldn't understand what she was saying because she was poor at speaking Korean. Now she speaks Korean very fluently. She was all "A" student when she was in China and chose to study abroad. The reason she wanted to study at HUFs was because she thought she could learn not only English but also Korean. However, when she came to Korea 2 years ago to attend HUFs, she was frustrated. She was not good at either Korean or English so she had difficulty communicating with people. She had difficulty learning Korean and taking Korean classes. Especially when taking English-Korean Translation class, she felt like almost crying. I could imagine how difficult it was for her to translate English to Korean. Both of them are not her mother tongue. She did her best to master Korean and English as quickly as she could. She tried hard to meet people and speak the language a lot. After 2 years of hard working, she finally speaks Korean fluently. Now, when I have a talk with Hannah, I don't feel like I am talking to foreigner.

No comments:

Post a Comment